Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fairytale-ish

What's in this picture? If you guessed "The Wizard of Oz books reflected in the head of a glass cat," you're right.
I took this around midnight 'cause I was feeling inspired as I was going to bed last week... don't ask.

As for the story... "You can't just write a romance, can you?" - Acacia 
       



    It was a fairytale, the way we met in the park that day. You on the slide and me on the swing, both in free fall at the same moment.
            Like a fairytale, when you took my hand and showed me your trucks in the sandbox. So proud of the dirt you’d shoveled from one hole to another with your bulldozer.
            Fairytale. The only way I could describe our friendship. The dragons we fought and the princesses we saved (and as I got older and things started to fall apart I kept on wishing that you’d save me.)
            It was like a fairytale, the way you took me away, those long hours after elementary school to fantasy lands—with our swords, and riches, and treasure, and being together.
            A fairytale, that one day in high school when it all came together, when songs made sense and everyone rolled their eyes and said “It’s about time.”
            The fairytale prom night, in the castle hotel. Dressed like a princess, surrounded by all colors of the rainbow. Music swirling, life breathing. The King and Queen in their crowns and the punch I pretended was nectar.
            Then the fairytale wedding, six years later with the gown and the cakes, little girls in pink and tears on our parents’ faces.
            It was a fairytale, complete with the dance, that dance, you know, the first one that was also the last. With all the eyes following us and the soft music and more people joining in until we were lost in the sea of rocking bodies.
            The fairytale carriage we rode away in, the carriage that was really just a Bug with a wreath but felt all the more magic for it. Leaving, I thought, leaving to the land of Happily Ever After. But that’s when the fairytale ends. That’s when reality appears.
            It was like a fairytale, the way we met in the park that day.
            The rest was not.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this--I like the impact of using the first sentence as the last sentence...

    ReplyDelete