Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spaceman-ish

Okay. So sue me. The last word was actually music, and I did do something for music, but it involves scanning and I'm too much of a lazy-ass to scan. So now you're getting Spaceman  and I'll finish alley cat (this week) sometime in the near future.


            When I grow up, I want to go there.
            To where?
            To the moon, of course. Are you stupid?
            In the dream he was beyond the moon. In the dream he was everything. He was dark matter. He had no body, but he was there, was a consciousness. He wrapped around earth like a blanket, seeing into everything, seeing everyone.
            You’re the stupid one. That’s the stupidest want I ever heard. You don’t got any business in space, kid.
            I wanna explore! I wanna go to the moon!
            Oh, shut up. You’re gonna grow up in this town and run the grocery store or something.
            And he could go beyond the earth. Slip through the galaxies, because he was everywhere, he was everything. He could go to places with other life forms, other words, other forms of everything. He waltzed through the stars, let their firey heat warm his essence when it got cold.  
            I don’t wanna run no grocery store.
            Then maybe you’ll run the funeral home or the gas station. But we can’t always get what we want. You don’t sometimes get what you need ‘neither, and you’re never going to be able to get out of this place.
            My mommy says that you should follow your dreams.
            Your mommy don’t know nothing either. She tried to get outta here once too. Look where she ended up.
            She loves it here!
            There were no limits to him. No one could put him in a room, for he would also be outside of it. And there were no rooms, not in space. It just went on forever. As did he.
            That’s bullcrap. I knew her long before you did, kiddie.
            She’s my mommy. You’re a liar. My mom likes this place and I’m going to go to the moon and you can’t stop me.
            Just you wait, kid. Now you dream big but someday you’re gonna realize no college wants you and the girl you love goes and gets herself knocked up and you don’t got a car and you don’t have anywhere to go but here.
            And there was no one else in space, but it wasn’t lonely. Because he could see the people, running around on their silvery white and blue planet, see their lives, see them for what they were. And he had the stars. The planets that constantly ran past.
            What’s knocked up?
            It doesn’t matter. I’m just telling you the truth. The world ain’t a pretty place.
            I’m going into space. The world doesn’t matter to me.
            Whole lifetimes passed with each breath he took. He was eternal. He was the force, that force in space. He was everything.
            Give it up.
            Go away! I hate you!
            Hate the world, kid. Don’t bother hating me.
            In the dream he was everything. In real life he was nothing.
           

4 comments:

  1. Dammit, this better post this time.

    Anyway, basically what I said last time was that you're way more awesome at writing than you give yourself credit for, and also I kicked your ass in Warlight.

    Also I'm listening to Spaceman by the Killers even though I know it'll be stuck in my head for days.

    MY GLOBAL POSITION SYSTEMS ARE VOCALLY ADDRESSED
    THEY SAY THE NILE USED TO RUN FROM EAST TO WEST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories. Honestly, i've visited this blog before, just that this is the first time I'm commenting. Your stories deserve to be commented on, just that I'm not exactly the best reviewer.

    I love the topics you explore here(Spaceman)! Dreams, innocence, the "real" world etc. We all have dreams but reality just has to be an ass and take that away from us and sometimes you just want to go back to the time when you believed everything was possible and had hope in everything...

    ANYWAYS, I like the three different perspectives and I like the innocence in that little boy. It's so cute yet somewhat sad. I hate how our dreams just go "poof" and disappear.

    I like all your other stories too:D though waiting-ish was confusing-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little boy's innocence is very natural, and you portrayed it exquisitely. The man talking to him was irritating, but he still had that certain feel about him that just helped with the story.

    You're a much better author than you give yourself credit for.

    Let's pray the little boy gets to the moon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is SO COOL. It can relate to almost anyone, something most people would never write about. Reality.

    The only problem I had with this story was the confusion. Like, the story was confusing and I didn't get who was who (I'm slow, really slow) so I had to read it again, and again, and again...

    ReplyDelete